At Burnt Tree Primary School we use Read Write Inc Phonics (RWI) to give your child the best possible start with their reading and literacy. We have put together a guide to how the RWI programme works, together with some useful links.
What is Read Write Inc?
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a phonics programme which helps all children learn to read fluently and at speed so they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling. The programme is designed for children aged 4-7. However, at Burnt Primary School we begin the programme in Nursery and will continue teaching RWI to children beyond the age of 7 if they still need support in their reading (through 1:1 tutoring).
RWI was developed by Ruth Miskin and more information on this can be found at https://ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/.
How will RWI be taught?
All children are assessed regularly so that they work with children at the same level. This allows complete participation in lessons.
Children will be introduced to the RWI and the initial sounds in short small group sessions.
In Reception all children will learn how to ‘read’ the sounds in words and how those sounds can be written down.
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred talk and sound blending
- read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
- work well with partners
- learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases
- learn to write words by using Fred Talk
- learn to build sentences by practising sentences out loud before they write
- work in pairs so that they:
- answer every question
- practise every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking and reading to each other
- develop ambitious vocabulary
Year One & Year Two
Children follow the same format as Reception, will work through the phonics scheme and read books appropriate to their reading level. The five sessions a week of RWI phonics last for 1 hour daily. Children who are confident, competent readers who have completed the phonics scheme will be in an English class where reading and writing is aimed at their level.
Five key principles underpin the teaching in all Read Write Inc. sessions:
Purpose – know the purpose of the activity and share it with the children, so they know the one thing they should be thinking about
Participation – ensure every child participates throughout the lesson. Partnership work is fundamental to learning
Praise – ensure children are praised for effort and learning, not ability
Pace – teach at an effective pace and devote every moment to teaching and learning
Passion – be passionate about teaching so children can be engaged emotionally.
'Reading should not be presented to children as a chore, or a duty. It should be offered as a gift’